PacerTalk

The Place Where the Pacers Rip the 'Net
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is it just me....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:20 pm 
Straightline Racer
Straightline Racer

Or do you see this season as an audition for second unit next year? If we lottery and plus have 50 million next year, I see us getting three close to all star level players 1 exceptional rookie, and two 25million players.

Post subject: Re: Is it just me....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 am 
Legend
Legend

P-man wrote:
Or do you see this season as an audition for second unit next year? If we lottery and plus have 50 million next year, I see us getting three close to all star level players 1 exceptional rookie, and two 25million players.

Totally plausible...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:42 pm 
Team Hero
Team Hero

Not exactly sure what you mean.

Are you suggesting that the Pacers:

a) will tank the 2017/2018 season just to get lottery picks? Or,

b) have already decided on who their starters will be for the next 2-3 years and that they will be used to showcase the franchise in the hopes of attracting other role players?

If option-A, I don't buy it.

If option-B, it's very plausible. The caveat clearly being we don't know if the new acquisitions and likely starters in Oladipo, Bogdanovic and Collison will stick around after 2019. So, in my view what the Pacers really should be doing is grooming the primary bench players to step up and become starters, as necessary, assuming they would want to stick around as well. Either way it's a crap-shoot, but I'll take my chances with option-B over option-A any day of the week. At least that way you know what you're got verses not knowing what you're getting. After all, we just let young talent like Christmas and Naing walk. So, the idea of sinking to the bottom in the hopes of getting the cream of the crop through the lottery is itself a huge gamble. Just ask the Portland Trailblazers how they fell to this day about drafting Greg Oden.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 pm 
Straightline Racer
Straightline Racer

My statement was more geared towards b. Option. Turner and possibly Victor will be starters for years to come. Then just by the Pacers team being weak according to paper (who knows till they hit the floor), we more than likely will be a lottery team. Plus the players coming off the books next year I hear we will have close to 50 million. Get two studs and a lottery pick to boost the starting lineup, use this years starters to play 6-9 and next year we could be right back into the thick of things. Pritchard wanted a mid level rebuild not a total rebuild and this falls in line with the message they are sending to the fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 pm 
Starter
Starter

P-man wrote:
My statement was more geared towards b. Option. Turner and possibly Victor will be starters for years to come. Then just by the Pacers team being weak according to paper (who knows till they hit the floor), we more than likely will be a lottery team. Plus the players coming off the books next year I hear we will have close to 50 million. Get two studs and a lottery pick to boost the starting lineup, use this years starters to play 6-9 and next year we could be right back into the thick of things. Pritchard wanted a mid level rebuild not a total rebuild and this falls in line with the message they are sending to the fans.

Felt kinda this way after seeing the contracts were short for recent signings..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am 
REEGT
REEGT

You're not getting 2 $25m players to come to a mediocre Indiana team, unless they're overpaid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 pm 
Straightline Racer
Straightline Racer

Realist1234 wrote:
You're not getting 2 $25m players to come to a mediocre Indiana team, unless they're overpaid.

Unless we do a okc. Take good players that want out and show them what a great team we have in the next 2-3 years. Hold Max contract for ransom.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:22 am 
Starter
Starter

Honestly I just want to see them build a team and keep strong players.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:16 am 
Legend
Legend

ReggieRules31 wrote:
Honestly I just want to see them build a team and keep strong players.

Appears that Silver is happy with 4 or 5 super teams, to go with 25 Washington Generals.