PacerTalk

The Place Where the Pacers Rip the 'Net
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Diva: Were You There?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:44 pm 
Starter
Starter

Did you make it to the Texas Race? How was it? Was it like it looked on TV? /mad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:35 pm 
Team Hero
Team Hero

I'm here KO. sorry I've been down for the count with a nasty upper respiratory infection the past few days. Too much excitement over the weekend. /hehehe

I was at the race and saw if live so I can't say if it was like it looked on TV. If it was edge of your seat, heart stopping and exciting, then yes. And yes I know there were all the wrecks. Apparently (in part) it was due to the repaving - track hasn't aged any - lack of tire degradation. And certain drivers not driving real smart. Yes, I've seen the comments, but I also heard comments being made by the drivers during the race about fellow competitors and drivers post race comments - in the garage and VL.

I will attempt to get some photos together of some of the UNbelievable things we (I) got to do. Luckily I've got photo evidence otherwise even I might believe some of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:49 pm 
Team Hero
Team Hero

So we had a really good time at the race at Texas. Yes, I know there was all the controversy and people didn't like it for various reason. But honestly I had a blast. Maybe it was because we got to do hot laps. Interestingly we learned that Chevy now requires all participants in hot laps to wear a HANS devices as well as a helmet. LOL it's very difficult to turn your head without turning your body. Gave us a whole new respect for what the drivers deal with. Honda doesn't have this requirement. TX SpeedDude's driver was Larry Foyt. My driver looked a whole lot like Johnny R. but I didn't ask. Got up to about 125-130. And I think mine was probably cooler because we had all the windows in the car open. SpeedDude and Larry had the ac running. Whatever. :))

Then we were chosen to be part of the IndyCar Nation Victory Lane photo. Morning after photo at Indy and Victory Lane at Texas, not bad. And then we went to the champagne toast to the winner, where they had a Q&A session with Will as well as of course a champagne toast.

But the highlight of my weekend and maybe the coolest thing I will ever get to do race related is waving the flags for qualification on Friday. I was 1 of 4 people who were picked to do this. After talking myself into being able to climb up the ladder into the flag stand (I've got a fear of open heights). But my fear of missing out on the opportunity outweighed that fear. So I got to wave the green, white and checkered for Ed Carpenter's qualifying run. Yes, I do have a 2 handed death grip on the flag, but it was windy, there was the heights thing and I sure didn't want to drop it. /pray It was ah-mazing.
Attachment:
Flag girl - sm.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:31 am 
Legend
Legend

Wow! That's awesome!!! I"m happy for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:20 pm 
Team Hero
Team Hero

Waving those flags - Kewl !!! /up /up /up

Sounded like you had a GREAT time !!! :)) :)) :))

Later,

Steve

/wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 am 
Legend
Legend

SWagoner wrote:

Waving those flags - Kewl !!! /up /up /up

Sounded like you had a GREAT time !!! :)) :)) :))

Later,

Steve

/wink

BTW, Diva, why didn't you slip a PacerTalk patch on that plain, white flag! /hehehe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 pm 
Starter
Starter

Great pics!

The last couple of times we went to Carb Day (Friday before the Indy500), we went into the E-Stand Penthouse seats to watch the track action. We actually got invited to climb up onto the Spotter's Stands on top of the roof. Talk about a GREAT view. Somehow, as you mentioned, Diva, all fears get brushed aside. While you can't see the entire track from there, you can sure see a whole lot of it!

Starting this year, we got "promoted" to E-Stand tickets for the Race. Having had a chance to sit in these stands for the Carb Day festivities before were the reason that we decided to give it a shot to try to upgrade our tickets. We DEFINITELY hit the jackpot when we found out our request had been granted.

While we won't be able to go every year in the future, anyone who wishes to use our 2 tickets is always able to PM us to check if we are going to the race, or if we are going to sell them.